10 Helpful Hints For Composing A Response Essay On Beowulf
What is a response essay? Quite simply, it’s an essay that responds to a chosen book, film, play etc. In this instance, it’s Beowulf.
Do you need some help in composing this paper? If so, here are 10 helpful hints:
- You should give your own opinion in this type of paper, but you should make sure that your view is objective and well-balanced.
- Make a list of strengths, weaknesses, plot details, characters etc. that you want to explore further in your essay. Once you have the key points you want to focus on, the easier it will be to select and include them in your response essay.
- Research what other people have had to say about Beowulf. Do your views concur with critical responses? It’s definitely worth looking up what professional writers and critics think of Beowulf. With such a universally well-known story as Beowulf, it shouldn’t be too hard to find these. Look on the internet, in books, and in your public and campus libraries.
- Know what you want to include before you begin writing your paper. You should work out what information is relevant together and where you want to place it. Work out how many chapters you want to include and what the identity of each one is.
- Once you have made an outline for your paper, write a first draft. As well as the chapters, you should include an introduction and conclusion. The introduction is actually best written last, as then you will know exactly what you have included in your paper and which key points you wish to make. The introduction should introduce Beowulf and briefly relay what elements you will be focusing on and what you hope to conclude.
- The conclusion should summarize your main points and wrap then up in an easily digestible and conclusive manner.
- Once your first draft is written, don’t stop there! You should re-read it again and again, taking different things into account each time you do so. Pay attention to things like: does a certain paragraph read well? Could you have chosen better words? Have you made your points clear and succinct? Should a certain part be cut? Be critical about your own writing in order to hone your writing skills.
- When you are happy with the content, you should proofread the paper for any mistakes. Pay attention to things like grammar, spelling, citation etc.
- The more time you spend on your essay, the better it will be!
- The more you enjoy writing your essay, the better it will be!